Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup mashed unsweetened strawberries
- Whipped cream or frosting of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine dry cake mix, gelatin powder, water and oil. Beat on low speed 1 minute or until moistened; beat on medium 4 minutes.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites and mashed strawberries into cake batter.
- Pour into three greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread whipped cream or frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. If frosted with whipped cream, store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 222 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 231mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 1, 2019
So tasty. Easy to make.
May 16, 2019
What is a regular size cake mix for this recipe. Cake mixes used to be 18.25 ozs and not are 15. Gave it a one star because directions on size of cake were not clear.
Apr 10, 2019
I've used this recipe a few times now and everyone loves the fresh strawberries inside and it is super moist! I was looking at different similar recipes though and I am curious when this recipe says, "regular size" cake mix, what size is "regular"? 15.25, 16.25 or 18 ounces?
Jan 22, 2019
Not a fan... It fell like a bad souflee. Pretty lame as I had dreams of this being so pretty for my child's birthday! Need more specific info in recipe like don't open the oven during baking until done?
May 18, 2016
Easy to make and a family favorite
Apr 18, 2016
One word DELICIOUS !!!
Apr 16, 2016
I have an old family recipe. It is from scratch and differs significantly from this one, I like my recipe better.
Feb 13, 2016
I just made this cake. It rose but when I took it out of the oven, it fell. Then I dumped it in the garbage. I won't be making it again!
Jul 4, 2015
Yum!!! Very moist with good strawberry flavor. A great springtime cake!!
Jun 5, 2015
I made this cake and did not ice it. Instead I used it as the base for strawberry shortcake. It is a great base for this. Topped with lightly sweetened whipped cream it is delicious