Grandma’s Old-Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Bake: 20 min.
- 6 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine strawberries with sugar and vanilla; mash slightly. Let stand at least 30 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 400°. For shortcake, whisk together flour, 4 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add buttermilk; stir just until combined (do not overmix). Drop batter by 1/3 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with 2 tablespoons heavy cream; sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake until golden, 18-20 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For topping, beat heavy whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. To serve, cut biscuits in half; top with strawberries and whipped cream.
Secret to Tender Shortcake: Make sure the butter is cold and cut it in until it’s about the size of peas. As it melts during baking, this will create the small air pockets that give the biscuit its flakiness.
Golden Brown Goodness: Brushing the biscuit tops with cream helps the sugar stay in place as well as giving the top a rich golden brown color when it's baked.
Bump up the Biscuit: Stir grated lemon zest, orange zest or a bit of spice such as ground cardamom into the biscuit mixture. Add a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg to the sugar on top.
Don't Have Buttermilk?: Place a tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a measuring cup and fill with regular milk to reach the 1 cup mark.
Swap the Fruit: Add fresh herbs or a favorite liqueur into the strawberry mixture, or substitute sliced mangoes, or peaches and blueberries, for the strawberries.
Whip Smart: It’s important the heavy cream is cold when you mix it—you’ll get more volume. Start out on low speed and be patient. You can make the whipped cream up to 2 hours ahead, then gently stir to reincorporate when you’re ready to serve it.
Perfect Berries: Avoid mashing the strawberries too long or they will become mushy.
Nutrition Facts1 shortcake with 1/2 cup strawberries and 1/3 cup whipped cream: 638 calories, 36g fat (22g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 710mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 20, 2019
Oh my gosh... so delicious! I only made half the recipe, but followed the directions exactly. It turned out great!
Apr 30, 2019
I made this for my family for Easter dessert. All 0f my family loved it! I will be making this often.
Sep 3, 2017
This is just as good as I remember having as a kid. Perfect, flaky biscuits and the addition of vanilla to the strawberries gives the strawberries more depth of flavor. I used the basic recipe a second time only used white peaches. The biscuits are delicious and the addition of vanilla to the peaches was tasty. Definitely a recipe I will share and make again. It's a keeper.
Jul 8, 2017
Not-too-sweet from-scratch biscuit, and the vanilla added to the strawberries puts it over the top! I used raw sugar to sprinkle the tops of the shortcakes.
Jul 2, 2017
The biscuits smelled heavenly as they baked in the oven. I did not have buttermilk on hand so I had to add lemon juice to the milk. I needed to add a couple tablespoons more of the milk for the dough to come together. Otherwise a FANTASTIC delicious old-fashioned dessert!
Apr 30, 2017
Pile it high with strawberries and whipped cream and this is delicious! I cut this recipe in half for my small family, and it was enough. I did have to add a tad bit more buttermilk to the dough so it would come together.
Apr 20, 2017
Oh so heavenly!
Apr 2, 2017
Made it exactly as written. My husband said "don't lose that recipe". It was really good. Shortcut biscuits were just like my grandma made too.
Mar 21, 2017
This recipe is just like the one my mom used to make! It was very tasty, and my family enjoyed it. I might add a tad more sugar or spice to the biscuit batter next time for a little more flavor. But the biscuits were delicious with the whipped cream and strawberries.