Strawberry Shortcake Puffs
When my wonderful friend Kelly brought me a pint of strawberries, I didn’t want to just eat them straight (tempting as it was). I decided to make strawberry shortcake with my own pretty, elegant spin. These light and airy puff pastry stacks let the fruit shine. —Jenny Dubinsky, Inwood, West Virginia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll puff pastry to a 10-in. square; cut into 12 rectangles (approx. 3x2-1/2 in.). Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- In a large bowl, toss strawberries with 1/4 cup sugar. Let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. In another bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add vanilla and remaining sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
- To serve, split pastries horizontally in half. Top each bottom half with 2 tablespoons whipped cream and 1 tablespoon strawberries; replace top half. Top with remaining whipped cream and strawberries.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 246 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Strawberry Shortcake Puffs in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.