Mom’s Strawberry Shortcake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 1-1/2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Mint leaves, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8-in. square baking pan. In a large bowl, beat eggs on medium speed 3 minutes. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; beat into egg mixture. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter just until butter begins to melt. Beat into batter with vanilla (batter will be thin).
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Just before serving, cut cake into serving-size pieces; cut each slice horizontally in half. In a large bowl, combine strawberries and remaining sugar; spoon between cake layers and over top of each serving. Top with whipped cream and, if desired, mint leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without whipped cream): 236 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 145mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 12, 2018
Easy to make! This was EXACTLY what I was looking for!!! It reminded me of the wonderful shortcakes from my childhood!!! DELICIOUS ! I also had difficulty taking it out of the pan after 10 min - so left it in the pan and it was fine. Strawberry time again! I put parchment paper in the bottom! PERFECTION
Mar 3, 2018
Great shortcake. I mixed everything in the bowl together, mixing well. I also added an extra tablespoon of butter. I used buttermilk plus 1/2 tsp. baking soda and also cut the sugar to 1/2 cup, as I only wanted it slightly sweet. It came out great!
Sep 26, 2016
I have been making this recipe since it came out in 1996! 20 years ofthe best strawberry shortcake ever!
Aug 6, 2014
This is a great recipe for strawberry shortcake. I add frozen strawberries in syrup along with the fresh berries - delicious
Jun 8, 2014
This cake was light and fluffy, a nice change from the biscuit version. This will be my new go-to recipe. I sprinkled a tiny bit of cinnamon into the batter, and my family liked the cake so much they said they would even eat it plain.
Apr 28, 2014
This recipe is a winner! My family all raved about it and went for seconds.I added cinnamon to the batter. Awesome....
Jun 30, 2013
This is excellent. My husband loves it.
Sep 9, 2012
reminds me of my grandmother's lost recipe. exactly what i was looking for.
May 28, 2012
I doubled the recipe for a family party, it worked great in a 9x13 pan baked for 32 minutes. Delicious!
Sep 17, 2011
Delicious! I love that this only makes a small pan...great for my husband and I.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.