Biscuit Strawberry Shortcake
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 pints strawberries, sliced
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1-1/2 cups whipped topping
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually stir in milk until a soft dough forms.
- Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls into eight mounds on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, place strawberries, orange juice and remaining sugar in a bowl; toss gently. Split shortcakes in half horizontally. Place bottom halves on serving plates; top with whipped topping and strawberries. Replace shortcake tops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 261 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 372mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 21, 2018
Excellent biscuits for strawberry shortcake. Easy to make and complement the strawberries perfectly.
Apr 19, 2017
I just whipped this up after dinner.... I was short on milk so I added a little hazelnut creamer. Tastes great! My 3 boys and hubby approved!
Mar 9, 2017
I made this exactly as written. You will think it is not enough butter, but it will be just right after you add the milk. They are barely sweet and light, while still being a shortcake consistency. A keeper.
Jan 27, 2015
Biscuits are fluffy and I use the same recipe for biscuits and gravy. Just omit amount of sugar to a tbsp. Awesome!I cut the biscuits after patting out into squares.The ingredients are precise and after a three lightKneading in a half cup of flour will take care of the amount of milk that I add a Cargill of white vinegar for a little sour milk.
Jun 14, 2014
The 3rd tablespoon of sugar gets mixed into the strawberries with the orange juice...see step 3 in the directions. Very quick and easy to mix up. Light and fluffy. Sprinkle a little sugar over the top.
Jun 14, 2014
<p>The 3rd tablespoon of sugar gets mixed into the strawberries with the orange juice...see step 3 in the directions. Very quick and easy to mix up. Light and fluffy. Sprinkle a little sugar over the top.</p>
May 31, 2014
May 28, 2013
only 1/2 cup milk should be used --- this is way to wet with one cup of milk also too much salt
May 11, 2013
Very good, but what is the 3rd Tblsp of sugar for?I put some turbino sugar on top of the biscuits before baking.
May 11, 2013
Very good, but what is the 3rd T of sugar for?I put some turbino sugar on top of the biscuits before baking.