Strawberry Mascarpone Cake
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 6 cups fresh strawberries, halved (2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Grease bottoms of two 8-in. round baking pans; line with parchment paper. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together twice; place in another large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, 1-1/4 cups sugar, oil, water, orange zest and almond extract until blended. Add to flour mixture; beat until well blended.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Gently transfer to prepared pans. Bake on lowest oven rack 30-35 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for whipped cream, in a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour. For filling, in a small bowl, beat mascarpone cheese and cream until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until assembling.
- Drain strawberries, reserving juice mixture. Using a serrated knife, trim tops of cakes if domed. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Brush with half of reserved juice mixture; spread with 3/4 cup filling. Arrange strawberries over top, creating an even layer; spread with remaining filling. Brush remaining cake layer with remaining juice mixture; place layer over filling, brushed side down.
- Gently stir whipped cream; spread over top and sides of cake. Just before serving, arrange strawberries over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 677 calories, 48g fat (22g saturated fat), 196mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Apr 11, 2016
Made this cake for an Easter dessert. Although it turned out well, and looked pretty, my family were not fond of it. There is very little flavor, and the whipped cream frosting needed to be sweeter for our taste. I will not make this cake again. There were too many steps for an "OK" cake rating.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.