Mama’s Spice Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup raisins, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional chopped pecans, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients; cook and stir over medium-low heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; cool.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks; gradually stir in spice mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda; gradually add to spice mixture until blended. Stir in pecans. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into the batter.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add vanilla and salt. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake, leaving the sides slightly exposed, if desired. Garnish with pecans if desired. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 482 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 353mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Sep 29, 2011
Very good cake, although I didn't separate the eggs and I also omitted the raisins and nuts. Not overly sweet, smells and tastes great!
Oct 19, 2009
I omitted the raisins and pecans and used this delicious cake in a pumpkin trifle that called for gingerbread. It was tender, moist and very simiple to make.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.