Strawberry Jam Cake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 5 egg whites
- 2 cups pureed strawberries
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup pureed strawberries
- 1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 1 cup seedless strawberry jam, divided
- Sliced fresh strawberries, optional
- Grease and flour three 9-in. round baking pans; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the strawberries, sour cream and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture. Transfer batter to prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 22-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, strawberries and extract; beat until smooth.
- Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; top with 1/2 cup jam and 1/2 cup frosting. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Garnish with sliced strawberries if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice (calculated without sliced strawberries): 706 calories, 28g fat (17g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 377mg sodium, 110g carbohydrate (79g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Oct 19, 2014
I made this in a oblong pan and it turned out great. I made this cake for a friends birthday, and I did not get to take any back home. Everyone wanted my recipe. I did not put the strawberries in my frosting, but in the cake. We love the cream cheese frosting. This is a great cake.
Jul 20, 2014
I don't think the photo of this cake goes with this recipe. Both the cake and the frosting are pink with the puréed strawberries. I agree with the comment that the frosting becomes too thin when you add the strawberry purée to it. I'm disappointed in the overall appearance and also think it's too sweet. I'd reduce the sugar if I made it again.
Jul 13, 2014
Could you use whole eggs instead of just the whites? Love the rich strawberry flavor!
Jun 28, 2014
I made this for my son's birthday using all organic ingredients (pesticides and GMOs not needed, thanks!). It tasted pretty good but it was too dense. That was my fault because I didn't use cake flour. I make a whole wheat all-purpose flour using half whole wheat soft white flour and half whole wheat hard white flour. I should have used about 1/8 cup less flour and it probably would have been just right.The reason for only four stars is because of the icing. The consistency was perfect before adding the strawberry puree. After its addition, the icing became way too loose and I *had* to store the cake in the refrigerator to keep it from oozing everywhere. It needed more powdered sugar to hold it together better. Actually, my advice would be to leave it out altogether unless you're wanting pink icing because adding more sugar probably would have made it too sweet (it was definitely sweet enough as it was). The extract by itself is enough for the flavor.Thanks for the recipe. :)
Jun 7, 2014
Alinor, did you even attempt to make this cake or did you just wet your pants when you read the amount of sugar and carbs one slice contains? It's dessert for goodness sakes. I made it and had a very large slice. If people don't like the way something comes across then move on to the next recipe.
Jun 2, 2014
Recipes should be tried before submitting a review! Do not condemn this delicious cake. Everything in moderation. As far as measuring the strawberries before or after pureeing, it is definitely intended the strawberries be pureed first. A recipe will always be written, should always be written anyway, reading left to right. Had the author intended it the other way - measuring the strawberries first and then pureeing them - it would have been written thus, "2 cups strawberries, pureed". See the difference? This is a delicious cake intended for special occasions. You can lighten it up a bit using light cream cheese and light sour cream without affecting the flavor or outcome.
Jun 2, 2014
Should come with Surgeon General's warning: half ton of sugar!-- 1 slice (calculated without sliced strawberries) equals 706 calories 110 g carbohydrate!! Wouldn't reccommend this to thin or healthy people. Killer!
Jun 2, 2014
I have not made this cake yet. But have a question before I do. The pureed strawberries: are the measurements before or after pureeing?
Jun 2, 2014
This cake does look great. It will be the 2014 Fathers Day cake for my husband and our son-in-laws. Thanks for the idea.
Jun 2, 2014
This cake looks fabulous, its a must try, with strawberries in season its a great compliments to this cake.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.