Strawberry Chiffon Cake
This light and luscious cake, along with fresh strawberries, is a "berry good" dessert to serve at a church ice cream social.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 to 2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
- Vanilla ice cream
- Whipped cream
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Place in a large bowl and make a well in the center. Add oil, egg yolks and orange juice; beat with a spoon until smooth.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff. Gradually add batter, folding gently until blended. Pour into an ungreased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 325° for 50-55 minutes. Invert immediately on wire rack, but keep in pan. When cool, remove cake from pan and slice into 12 pieces. Top each slice with berries, ice cream and whipped cream.