Orange Chiffon Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, orange juice, oil and orange zest; add to dry ingredients. Beat until well blended.
- In another large bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into orange mixture.
- Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest rack at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a serving plate.
- For glaze, melt butter in a small saucepan; add remaining glaze ingredients. Stir until smooth. Pour over top of cake, allowing it to drizzle down sides.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 333 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 269mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jul 3, 2017
We love this light airy cake with the great orange taste!! This recipe is a keeper!!
Feb 4, 2017
Delicious! Instead of the orange glaze I used melted chocolate. Me and my family loved this cake!
Apr 18, 2016
Loved this cake and so did my guests. Perfect cake for the spring time...
Feb 2, 2016
This cake is so good and moist. I did use a different frosting, I make an orange butter cream frosting and pressed toasted coconut into the frosting top and sides of cake. I made this cake 43 years ago from a mix I purchased at the store, the mix was disconnected . I am happy that I found this recipe. This is one of my husband's favorite cakes. Thank you Marjorie and TASTE OF HOME. I also made up an orange food color . I made the cake medium orange color and the frosting darker. This don't help or hurt the flavor of the cake, it did make for a prettier presentation.
Aug 1, 2015
Love this! Exceptional flavor & texture. The 2nd time I made it, I cut corners for time & didn't allow the eggs to get to room temperature. Skipping this step made a HUGE difference in the texture of the cake. This cake is a definite favorite. Takes a little bit of effort, but is very worth it.
Jan 22, 2015
Wow!! I tried this recipe and the cake was so awesome!! I didn't make the icing but still it so good!!!!!
Dec 19, 2014
Perfect!!! A friend commented it was so perfect it was a blue ribbon winner lol!!!! Excited to make again and again. Wish I could post a picture!!
Apr 19, 2014
I used the glaze from this recipe on another orange chiffon cake, and I have to say, it was awesome and so easy to make. My friends were licking their forks.
Apr 9, 2010
Delicious orange flavor! The icing is amazing!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.