Orange Chiffon Pie
My children always tell me I'm the only mom who bakes every day. The other kids at school always want to know what's in my kids' lunch.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Oranges slices
- Fresh mint, optional
- In a saucepan, combine the gelatin, sugar and salt. Add milk and egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and gelatin is dissolved. Remove from the heat; add juices and zest. Chill until partially set.
- Fold in whipped cream and chill until mixture mounds. Spoon into pie shell; chill thoroughly. Garnish with orange slices and mint if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 342 calories, 20g fat (11g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 197mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Orange Chiffon Pie in Country Extra November 1991
Jul 23, 2010
My mother has used this recipe for years. I always thought it was wonderful but I never made it myself until recently. I didn't know how easy it is or I would've tried it a long time ago.