Orange-Date Nut Cake
One of my fondest memories as a child was the scent of this cake cooling on my mom’s dining room table. For those who like dates, nuts and oranges, it is heavenly. Teresa Switzer, Fayetteville, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toss dates with 1/4 cup flour; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in orange zest. Combine the baking powder, baking soda, salt and remaining flour; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in dates and nuts.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For glaze, combine orange juice and confectioners' sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Cool cake on a wire rack for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Poke holes in cake top. Drizzle glaze over top and sides of cake; cool completely before serving.