Pineapple Orange Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, undrained
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) reduced-fat whipped topping
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, oranges, egg whites and applesauce on low speed for 2 minutes. Pour into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a bowl, combine the pineapple and pudding mix. Fold in whipped topping just until blended. Spread over cake. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 231 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 310mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 14, 2019
Recipe says add whipping cream, but ingredients doesn't have any! Ant advice
Jan 4, 2019
Delicious recipe. Cooling and light. If you had a dry cake more than likely it was beating the egg whites too long which gives a dry product. Thanks for this keeper!
Dec 27, 2018
My Polish Granny made this for years from scratch...I would like the try this quicker version. Than compare.
May 29, 2018
A dear friend made this for us for our anniversary. I had to have the recipe too because it's so delicious. And it is simple to make!
Mar 31, 2018
So I want to make this for Easter. I just use the cake mix and follow the directions correct? Not the directions on the cake box.
Sep 6, 2017
I have made this cake following the recipe many times ... it's perfection. Every time there's a potluck or treats taken to work I am told that I have to bring this cake, it's so light and tasty my workmates call it the sunshine cake.
Aug 3, 2017
Made this cake yesterday and it's half gone already, just two people eating. Followed recipe and it came out perfect. I am curious as to why the name change from "Pig Picking Cake " to "Pineapple Orange Cake". I sense a bit of PCness going on. As for the review from momof3 re: pudding size, I used the 1oz. box called for so I don't know where the claim of "typo" error comes from. Anyway, follow the recipe and you'll have a wonderful dessert.
Jul 31, 2017
My daughter made this as written, it was dry and not enough flavor. I do plan on making this my way by adding back all the quilt. I always use beaten heavy cream as a replacement for whipped topping, I just cannot stand that stuff. In the cake I'll swap out the apple sauce for melted Irish butter, use 3 whole eggs instead of 4 egg whites and add 2 tsp of grated orange zest....UPDATE, July 31st 2017. I did make this my way and my daughter agreed that it was worlds apart from the original recipe. Dessert should always come with a bit of guilt. It's dessert and the guilt part is what feeds the soul.
Jul 31, 2017
SOUNDZ SO DELISH!!!!!! ?? IT!!!
Jun 17, 2017
It's a toss up between a 2&3. I was not impressed w this cake at all. I thought it was dry and did not taste orange at all. The pudding size is a typo too. This recipe has potential and I will remake it but not without making my own tweaks to improve it to my own liking. Topping was great I have made the same topping using coconut cream pudding and pineapple!!