Orange Date Nut Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 small unpeeled orange, cut into pieces and seeded
- 1 cup pitted chopped dates
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- For bread, place eggs, butter, sugar, orange pieces and dates in blender or food processor. Cover and process with on/off motions until finely chopped. Remove to a large bowl.
- In separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt; add to orange mixture and mix until well-combined. Stir in pecans. Pour batter into greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If bread begins to darken, cover with foil during last few minutes of baking.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, heat orange juice and sugar until sugar has dissolved. When bread comes out of the oven, poke holes with a toothpick and slowly pour the sauce over top. Let stand for 15 minutes before removing from pan. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 220 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 12, 2010
Am I missing something here? where is the liquid? the 2T butter didn't do it. I had to look at another receipe & add 1/2C OJ to this.
Nov 24, 2009
WOW! If you want a quick bread with intense flavor, you must try this recipe. I made it for an event I was catering. A big hit.