Orange Date Nut Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 small unpeeled orange, cut into pieces and seeded
- 1 cup pitted chopped dates
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- For bread, place eggs, butter, sugar, orange pieces and dates in blender or food processor. Cover and process with on/off motions until finely chopped. Remove to a large bowl.
- In separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt; add to orange mixture and mix until well-combined. Stir in pecans. Pour batter into greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If bread begins to darken, cover with foil during last few minutes of baking.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, heat orange juice and sugar until sugar has dissolved. When bread comes out of the oven, poke holes with a toothpick and slowly pour the sauce over top. Let stand for 15 minutes before removing from pan. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 220 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Jan 12, 2010
Am I missing something here? where is the liquid? the 2T butter didn't do it. I had to look at another receipe & add 1/2C OJ to this.
Nov 24, 2009
WOW! If you want a quick bread with intense flavor, you must try this recipe. I made it for an event I was catering. A big hit.