Date Pecan Tea Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices with 1/2 cup spread)
- 2-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cloves, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons chopped dates
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- Place dates in a large bowl. Combine boiling water and baking soda; pour over dates. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cloves, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg; set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with date mixture. Stir in pecans.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine spread ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Serve with bread.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 312 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 15, 2017
Thank you, Carole, for this AMAZING recipe! It's the best date nut bread I've ever had! Instead of making one loaf, I made five smaller loaves (3" x 5.5" size) and reduced the baking time to 38 minutes. My batter was a little thin, so I added 2 tablespoons of flour, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Delicious!
Sep 8, 2015
Nice fall flavors.
Oct 15, 2014
This is the best date bread I have tasted! So moist and the date flavor is throughout. I will definitely be making this bread again. Here is an update on this recipe. I took out all of the sugar and substituted 3/4 cup honey and I added chopped almonds instead of the pecans. It turned out fabulously.
Mar 11, 2013
I enjoyed this loaf and will make it again. The flavour of the dates and blend of spices is very nice. This is a moist loaf and ages well without drying out. Next time though, I think I will try using a bit less sugar because the loaf may border on being a tad too sweet for some. Otherwise, a recipe to keep!
Aug 20, 2008
can't go wrong with this recipe, its a keeper for all occassins