Currant Tea Bread
This rich and flavorful bread is a favorite old-time recipe. Because it keeps well and goes great with coffee or tea, I like to have an extra loaf on hand for gifts or for friends who come to call over the holidays.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup dried currants
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the milk and lemon zest. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in currants.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.