Lemon-Thyme Tea Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine milk and thyme. Microwave, uncovered, on high 1-2 minutes or until bubbly; cover and let stand until cooled to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with reserved milk mixture. Stir in lemon juice and zest.
- Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over bread.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 187 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 92mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 22, 2018
This is a bread of acquired taste... i I tried it with the thyme and didn't like it, BUT surprisingly, the 2nd time I tried it i didnt use the thyme. it was great. i proceeded to try it with Rosemary, peppermint, basil, ect. It is a great breakfast for runners (although not the healthiest) or a snack when you forgot lunch. Very filling.
Jun 20, 2018
I enjoyed this bread, it did need to bake a bit longer but overall a very nice flavor. I think rosemary could be used as well. If the idea of herbs seems odd you can always leave it out and still have a very nice lemon bread.
Mar 24, 2016
I wasn't sure about this bread myself, but my husband and son loved it. I'll keep the recipe and try it again sometime.
May 2, 2015
I totally LOVE this bread. It's my go-to morning bread, because I can keep the ingredients always on hand. I like that it's not too lemony, not too sweet, but moist and sweet-milky. I always add a full tablespoon of dried thyme--I think it helps cut the lemony sweetness a bit. I have also never added the glaze. It's already moist and sweet enough.
Oct 17, 2014
I must be losing my "touch" because I found this very disappointing. My oven is spot on the temperature but after 40 minutes, a toothpick came out coated with batter but the edges of the cake were starting to pull away from the sides. Gave it another 5 mins and then another 3. That would account for how dry it is but it also does not have much flavor. Only the glaze has any flavor and I didn't really care for it when I tasted it before I put it on the bread. I kept reading and rereading the ingredients and instructions before and after making it and I know I followed them to a "T". I am really disappointed as I was so looking forward to a piece with a cup of tea.
Jun 16, 2014
I didn't have thyme so I used rosemary. The cake was moist and delicious and easy to make.Everyone enjoyed this new favorite.
Apr 28, 2014
Apr 15, 2014
I love it I'm not a cake person very selected ones
Jan 7, 2013
The flavor of this "bread" is so wonderful & bright! Absolutely delicious & not too sweet, although it's definitely a dessert type bread. The glaze is tangy & adds just the right amount of sweet. It is moist but seems a little crumbly, so it may need a little oil or applesauce(?). I followed the recipe exactly with the exception being that I made four mini loafs (approx 3X5) instead of one large. They baked perfect & everyone who tasted it loved it! Great recipe & great to give as a gift or bring to a party.
Oct 21, 2012
This bread is delicious--a family favorite, and it's great to give as a gift!