Lemon Tea Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 4-1/2 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk and vanilla. Gradually add flour and mix well.
- Shape into two 14-in. rolls; reshape each roll into a 14x1-1/8x1-1/8-in. block. Wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle half of the cookies with nuts, gently pressing into dough.
- Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, cream the butter, lemon juice and orange zest until fluffy. Gradually add confectioners' sugar until smooth. Tint yellow if desired. Spread about 1 teaspoon on bottoms of the plain cookies; place nut topped cookies over filling.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 70 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 32mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 13, 2017
Every year I put together a box of cookies for our neighbours and family members. I found these in a taste of home cookie book I received several years ago and fell in love with the buttery lemon taste. I'm happy to say these cookies are once again included in my cookie box
Nov 2, 2017
I haven't made these yet, but am answering plj69 below. Substitute Splenda for Sugar in cookie (or do 1/2 and 1/2). Since it is a shortbread, it won't need the sugar to "raise". In the filling, use 1 1/2 cups Splenda along with 4 Tablespoons Corn Starch. It will substitute for the powdered sugar. It may be a little more runny, so you may need to lessen the amount of lemon juice (could substitute a little lemon extract to bring out the lemon flavor in place of some of the juice)
Nov 1, 2017
Need sugar free recipe for these lemon cookies. Any ideas. Original are great.
Apr 22, 2017
These are really great, My daughter loves lemon so these were a hit
Feb 9, 2017
These cookies are simply delicious, and worth the effort. The recipe is excellent as is; for my second go-round, I ground up a teaspoon of dried lavender and mixed it in with the flour—just for something a little bit different. These actually get better after sitting in a cookie tin for a couple of days!
Mar 12, 2016
I made these cookies for a bridal shower and the ladies loved them. The only thing I did differently was to use lemon curd between the cookies instead of the filling in the recipe.They are delicious.
Mar 31, 2015
These look really scrummy ! Thankyou Phyllis.
Jan 28, 2015
My favourite. They will literally melt in your mouth. I put the dough in saran wrap, shape a log, and then put in fridge for a couple hours before slicing. To save time, I just ice the cookies instead of making sandwiches. Note: I found these taste better and last longer if kept in the fridge.
Jun 27, 2013
Dec 29, 2011
I loved these bite size cookies! They were a little time consuming but were so worth the work. The yummy filling is the perfect compliment to the shortbread cookie . I did double the recipe and I'm so glad i did :)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.