Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine buttermilk and sour cream. Combine the flour, thyme, lemon zest, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Cool completely; sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 212 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 176mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Aug 23, 2017
I've made this bread many times for family gatherings and everyone always loves it. I use my own home grown thyme and increase the grated lemon peel to two tablespoons. It has a fine texture and delicate taste, not overly sweet. A perfect bread for breakfast, tea time or dessert.
Jul 23, 2012
This recipe has become one of my favorites-and a favorite of my family and friends! The mini loaves make terrific gifts--if they last long enough to give!
Jul 4, 2012
Love this recipe! Use my own lemon-thyme that I grow and I make muffins. Can't keep them around...family eats them up!
Jun 19, 2012
My family loves this recipe, especially the guys. I make muffins and they can't stop eating them. I grow my own lemon thyme so the grandkids love picking it and chopping it.
Dec 24, 2011
This is a definite keeper. The keys are fresh tyme and fresh lemon in a great combination. Everyone with whom we've shared this has raved about it.
Dec 7, 2011
I just made this last night and it turned out very well. The taste is so refreshing and light. The mix of fresh thyme and lemon is excellent!!!
Dec 5, 2011
So much fun to make, and so delicious. It has the texture of Sara Lee pound cake! I am going to try making it without the thyme and lemon and just add some vanilla, and it would taste just like pound cake without all the work. I might even mix in some mini chocolate chips. :)
Nov 25, 2011
This is simply delicious
Nov 10, 2011
I thought this bread recipe was outstanding. It is just different enough to catch your attention, and seems like the perfect thing to serve with a cup of hot tea. I used 1 tablespoon of dried thyme instead of the fresh. It is a recipe I will be making again soon! Dianne
Nov 8, 2011
We have a lemon tree with so many lemons, so I froze some of the zest.Tried this recipe, it was very good. Light flavor and just nice with a cup of tea.