Lemon Coconut Loaf
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices each)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon juice. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in the coconut and lemon zest.
- Pour into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients; brush over loaf.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 171 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Mar 16, 2012
After I reviewed this saying that I have never deviated from the recipe, I made changes that very week. I wanted to take this to a ladies' meeting at our church. We have several ladies on special diets (like vegan) so I needed to adapt the recipe to fit their needs. I used flax seed substitute for the eggs, rice milk for the milk and 3/4 cup honey for the sugar. I cut the other liquids to about 3/4 their normal amounts to compensate for the honey. I poured the batter into muffin cups and got approximately 12 muffins. For the glaze, I spread some honey and sprinkled coconut on top. They were a huge hit at our meeting.
Feb 28, 2012
I have made this several times and always have a hard time not eating all of it right away. I've never deviated from the recipe at all. It is easy and delicious.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.