Lemon Coconut Loaf
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices each)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon juice. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in the coconut and lemon zest.
- Pour into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients; brush over loaf.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 171 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 16, 2012
After I reviewed this saying that I have never deviated from the recipe, I made changes that very week. I wanted to take this to a ladies' meeting at our church. We have several ladies on special diets (like vegan) so I needed to adapt the recipe to fit their needs. I used flax seed substitute for the eggs, rice milk for the milk and 3/4 cup honey for the sugar. I cut the other liquids to about 3/4 their normal amounts to compensate for the honey. I poured the batter into muffin cups and got approximately 12 muffins. For the glaze, I spread some honey and sprinkled coconut on top. They were a huge hit at our meeting.
Feb 28, 2012
I have made this several times and always have a hard time not eating all of it right away. I've never deviated from the recipe at all. It is easy and delicious.