Lemon Pound Cake Loaves
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes2 mini loaves (6 slices each)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour two 5-3/4x3x2-in loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon zest and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix icing ingredients. Spoon over loaves.
Freeze option: Do not make icing. Securely wrap cooled loaves in plastic wrap and foil, then freeze. To use, thaw at room temperature. Prepare icing as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 262 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 23, 2019
I'm giving this cake 4 stars because it has a good lemon flavor, however, it was a bit dry overall. I didn't make the glaze, but made a lemon frosting recipe from another site. Thank goodness for that frosting, it provided some much needed moisture missing from the cake itself.
Apr 7, 2018
I made this for my daughter in law who loves the lemon cake at a famous coffee shop. I think this one is better than the one they sell! Not only great flavor, but the texture is excellent as well. Even better with the icing!
Mar 1, 2018
This was really good, but I increased the lemon extract to one teaspoon and added a tablespoon of lemon zest, since my family loves lemon flavored desserts. I plan to make several of these loaves for a church bake sale next month, along with the other breads I'll be baking. The icing was the perfect touch!
Jun 6, 2016
i didn't have ne lemon - so I used lime instead - folks were amazed over the key lime bread!
Jun 6, 2016
I made this on a dreary rainy NH day and it certainly brightened up the day! Great flavor , easy and a great gift to give! I will be making this again! My cook time was slightly longer.