California Lemon Pound Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 70 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon zest and extract. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread over top of cake.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 500 calories, 23g fat (11g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 333mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jul 12, 2018
Someone suggested using lemon oil. That is extremely strong. I wouldn't use it and I've been baking for well over 60 years. It doesn't make me an expert but I wouldn't suggest using lemon oil. It already has 1 tablespoon of lemon extract plus lemon zest. If you want more lemon then make a simple glaze with confectioners sugar and lemon juice.
Apr 15, 2018
Very Good. A great way to use fresh lemons from my lemon tree. The cake had lots of flavor and very moist. I will definitely make again. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Apr 1, 2018
I make this pound cake for Easter. Unfortunately it was just too dry.
Feb 15, 2018
Excellent cake! I've made it several times and had people say it's way better than the lemon loaf sold at a popular coffee chain. My hubby loves it and requests it for his birthday and Valentine's Day. Made it recently and added 1/4 cup poppy seeds as he wanted a lemon/poppy seed cake. I made the frosting but added a little warm water to make it a thinner icing rather than a fluffy frosting, as pictured in the photo above. I think it has a nice pop of lemon flavor and love the texture of the cake.
Sep 15, 2017
I made this cake to take home to Florida to my mom and aunts who have been baking for over 50 years. When I asked for my tips my mom said she wouldn't change a thing and then she asked for the recipe!! They all loved it. Even my baking uncle! Easy and delicious! A definite keeper.
May 27, 2017
I would suggest using a touch of lemon oil in the batter to ramp up the lemon flavor!
Feb 25, 2017
This is a delicious cake. Has a good texture. I did add a little fresh lemon juice to the batter.
Aug 5, 2016
Love the texture of this cake. Made it in my sister-in-law's kitchen where there is no bundt pan :( So used a 9x12 and doubled the icing.... Nice results. And was better the 2nd or third day.
May 22, 2016
This is as good a lemon pound cake as I’ve had, great lemon flavor and very moist. Frosting fans might want to double the recipe. Don’t skip the lemon extract in the cake. Trader Joe’s sells a very good one as does Olive Nation on line. DON’T buy the artificially flavored ones that the supermarkets sell. The difference between artificial and real flavor is night and day. Those who had it burn or be very dry, try using an oven thermometer. Cooper Atkins is a good brand.
May 4, 2016
Made cake today. Flavor was good,, but when u slice it cake falls apart. Also very dry. I followed recipe not sure what went wrong.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.