Lemon-Buttermilk Pound Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + cooling
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 75-80 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a wire rack placed over a sheet of waxed paper.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until reduced to 1-1/2 cups, about 10 minutes.
- Poke holes in top of cake; spoon about 1/4 cup sauce into holes. Let stand for 10 minutes. Poke holes into sides of cake; brush remaining sauce over cake. Cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 458 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 204mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
May 15, 2014
This was a great cake and very easy to make.
Jan 10, 2013
This recipe was wonderful! I made this cake for my very critical grandmother and kids and got two thumbs up! It didn't last 24hrs!
Nov 13, 2011
I have made this recipe many times and my family and friends never get tired of it. The lemon sauce makes this cake moist and gives it a nice tangy lemon taste.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.