Cranberry-Orange Pound Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling
Makes16 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce)
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2-3/4 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- VANILLA BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla and orange zest. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Fold in cranberries.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and flour. Stir in cream and butter; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla. Serve warm over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 543 calories, 28g fat (17g saturated fat), 155mg cholesterol, 366mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Feb 5, 2020
This barely had any orange taste at all, WAY TOO MUCH SUGAR - wasted my time and money trying this recipe for sure. Yuck.
Nov 24, 2019
Thought it was great and so did everyone else who tried it. Didn't bother with making the icing, was plenty sweet and very moist on it's own.
Oct 14, 2019
Amazing cake. A little sweet. Will put less sugar next time.
Jan 1, 2017
This pound cake was delicious ... great flavor, texture, and a perfect balance between sweet and tangy. After the cake cooled, I added an orange glaze (1.5 cups confectioners sugar, 3 TBL fresh orange juice, and 2 tsp. orange zest). I also added a half teaspoon of Fiori Di Sicilia flavoring to the cake batter. Good recipe!
Aug 12, 2016
Jan 24, 2016
I made it twice with and without sauce. I like it more without because it is lighter. However delicous in both options. I made it with frozen cranberries and didn't know what to expect but it tasted great. I'll make it again !
Jan 17, 2016
Delicious even without the sauce! This one is going in my recipe box for sure!
Dec 31, 2015
Amazing cake. Perfect for the holidays. Every time I take this to a pot luck it disappears.
Dec 29, 2015
One of the best pound cakes ever! I add the microplaned zest of a whole orange to give it a little more zip. It doesn't even require the sauce because it's so moist.
Dec 6, 2015
Wonderful Cake! Just made it today and it is so delicious. I live at high altitude and no adjustments were made. Husband loved it as well. Highly recommend!