Cranberry-Carrot Layer Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, brown sugar, oil and orange zest. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and cloves; gradually add to egg mixture and mix well. Stir in carrots and cranberries.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, milk, ginger and orange zest if desired.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 729 calories, 43g fat (15g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 420mg sodium, 84g carbohydrate (67g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 16, 2015
id like to try this-i have 4 bags of dried cranberries i need to use-but i am hypoglycemic-can i substitute maple syrup or agave or honey for those 4 cups of sugar in the frosting???
Nov 21, 2014
I made this cake using the orange peel and the result was a fantastic and flavorful cake. The frosting also benefits from the ginger and the orange peel. It tastes amazing!
Dec 5, 2012
Wonderfully moist cake, the cranberries are a great taste addition. The only change I made to cake, I did not have any orange peel so it wasn't put in cake. I made frosting as directed, minus orange peel and ground ginger (my family LOVES standard Cream Cheese Frosting).
Jun 13, 2009
I thought the ginger in the frosting was a poor choice and substituted 1 tsp of cinnamon and used 1 tsp of orange peel to compliment the ingredients in the cake