Three-Layered Carrot Cake
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + cooling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme, optional
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 8 to 8-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of three greased 8-in. square baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk orange juice and sour cream. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugars and orange zest until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. If desired, beat in thyme. Add flour mixture alternately with orange juice mixture, beating well after each addition.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Gently fold in shredded carrots and pecans.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, orange zest and juice until blended. Gradually beat in enough confectioners’ sugar to reach desired consistency.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate until serving.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 5, 2017
Thank you for posting this recipe. I have been looking for a carrot cake recipe that has orange juice in it. I bought a mix one time and you had to add orange juice and it was the best carrot cake ever. Can't wait to make this. I gave it 5 stars without making it, as I know this is a very similar recipe. So happy to have finally found it.