Three-Layered Carrot Cake
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + cooling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme, optional
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 8 to 8-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of three greased 8-in. square baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk orange juice and sour cream. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugars and orange zest until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. If desired, beat in thyme. Add flour mixture alternately with orange juice mixture, beating well after each addition.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Gently fold in shredded carrots and pecans.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, orange zest and juice until blended. Gradually beat in enough confectioners’ sugar to reach desired consistency.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate until serving.
Jan 5, 2017
Thank you for posting this recipe. I have been looking for a carrot cake recipe that has orange juice in it. I bought a mix one time and you had to add orange juice and it was the best carrot cake ever. Can't wait to make this. I gave it 5 stars without making it, as I know this is a very similar recipe. So happy to have finally found it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.