Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup well-drained crushed pineapple
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional chopped nuts
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add the eggs, oil, carrots and vanilla; beat until combined. Stir in pineapple, coconut and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter in a small bowl until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost cake. Sprinkle with additional nuts. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 819 calories, 49g fat (12g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 346mg sodium, 91g carbohydrate (72g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 27, 2018
Excellent cake. Very moist and tasty. I used muffin cups and reduced the oil to 1 cup. It came out delicious
Feb 22, 2018
I don't know where this recipe originated but it was the same one my mother got from my grandmother....I use applesauce instead of the oil.....my grandmother also made a syrup of orange juice and other ingredients to pour over the warm cake....before it cooled then frosted it.....wonderful.....
Jul 15, 2016
The best carrot cake I've ever eaten, never fails, everyone raves about it.
Jan 22, 2016
I didn't like it at all.You get much better dough if u combine first eggs, sugar and oil and then add the other stuff. Make a huge differenc.Its way too oily. I throw away first dough and took then only a bit more than 1/2 cup of oil.Its also too much sugar. I reduced it to 1/2 cup and it was sweet too.First cake wasted
Jan 18, 2016
I thought I had everything when I started to make this carrot cake. I didn't have any coconut, so I put in a cup of raisins, instead. The cake was extremely moist and my family enjoyed it. I will make it again and make sure that next time have coconut. I also only used 2 cups of powdered sugar in the frosting and 3 tablespoons of butter. The frosting was sweet enough without the extra cup of sugar.
Dec 26, 2015
This was fantastic!
Nov 1, 2015
Amazing recipe! Just made this last night and it came out sooooo moist! Definitely using it again.
Jul 9, 2015
I just harvested some carrots in the garden when I decided to make this. I had to make some substitutions because I didn't have all the ingredients in the house. I used two Jumbo eggs instead of three normal sized eggs. One crushed peeled apple (used food processor) instead of pineapple. No vanilla. No nuts. I grated the carrots but then pluses them in the processor with dry goods cause I didn't think it was chopped enough.As far as the frosting: I had half a package of cream cheese and some confession sugarTaste was good. Could have used more carrots and vanilla.
May 14, 2015
I have this in the oven now. But I forgot to add the vanilla. Will it still be ok or should I start over?
Mar 6, 2015
My husband loves this cake but I add 1 cup raisen to it per hubbys request. He is in heaven when he eats it.