Spiced Carrot Cake
My mom made this cake for my birthday one year because carrot cake is her favorite. Turns out, it's my favorite, too! Now when I make it, I love it with lots of spice. The pumpkin pie spice is a perfect shortcut, but you could use a custom blend of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. —Jaris Dykas, Knoxville, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded carrots (about 6 medium)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- Beat first five ingredients until well blended. In another bowl, whisk together flour, pie spice, baking soda and salt; stir into egg mixture. Fold in carrots.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream until soft peaks form. In another bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth; gradually fold in whipped cream.
- If cakes are domed, trim tops with a serrated knife. Spread frosting between layers and over top of cake. Refrigerate leftovers.