Spiced Carrot Cake
My mom made this cake for my birthday one year because carrot cake is her favorite. Turns out, it's my favorite, too! Now when I make it, I love it with lots of spice. The pumpkin pie spice is a perfect shortcut, but you could use a custom blend of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. —Jaris Dykas, Knoxville, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded carrots (about 6 medium)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- Beat first five ingredients until well blended. In another bowl, whisk together flour, pie spice, baking soda and salt; stir into egg mixture. Fold in carrots.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream until soft peaks form. In another bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth; gradually fold in whipped cream.
- If cakes are domed, trim tops with a serrated knife. Spread frosting between layers and over top of cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 241 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 375mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Spiced Carrot Cake with Whipped Frosting in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017