Grandma’s Carrot Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups shredded carrots (about 6 medium)
- 1 cup chopped California Walnuts
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Beat first four ingredients until well blended. Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Stir in carrots and walnuts.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack; cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Spread over cake.
Health Tip: Skip the heavy frosting and dust this cake with confectioners’ sugar to save almost 150 calories and 10g fat per serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 593 calories, 35g fat (7g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 292mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Oct 30, 2019
Smokey I haven't try this cake yet and wanted to ask if this cake can be wrapped in cheesecloth soaked,not heavy in branded ( like I have always done with my old recipes) . I would moisten the cake maybe once a week before Christmas having made them in November. They kept fine and soooo good. Could I do that to this recipe?
Jan 22, 2019
This looks so much like a recipe my Dad got from someone at work years ago, except our recipe didn't include cinnamon or a frosting. Dad was a wonderful cook, and make this cake many, many times. It's so good!!