Grandma’s Molasses Fruitcake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 1-1/4 hours + cooling
Makes3 loaves (16 slices each)
- 3-1/4 cups dried currants
- 2-2/3 cups raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup chopped candied citron or candied lemon peel
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- Preheat oven to 300°. Grease and flour three 9x5-in. loaf pans. Line bottoms with waxed paper; grease and flour the paper. Combine currants, raisins, walnuts, candied citron and 1/4 cup flour. Toss to coat; set aside.
- Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses. In another bowl, whisk baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and remaining flour; add to creamed mixture alternately with coffee. Stir into currant mixture and mix well.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Wrap tightly and store in the refrigerator for at least 2 days to blend flavors. Slice and bring to room temperature before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Test Kitchen Tip
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 210 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 79mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 21, 2017
Fantastic recipe, or at least I think it is. I made the three loaves and immediately tried one when it cooled. The other two are aging in some port wine and brandy. I can't wait to unwrap these at Christmas.
Nov 8, 2017
Thank you so very much for posting this recipe. This is as close as I have found to my Mum's recipe for fruitcake. Making it was a 12 hour ordeal ! She would make 6 loaves at a time. She did use more fruit and candied cherries,which I picked out! I can't wait to make this and have a nice thick slice spread with butter. It's been far too long. Thank you again.