Grandma’s Molasses Fruitcake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 1-1/4 hours + cooling
Makes3 loaves (16 slices each)
- 3-1/4 cups dried currants
- 2-2/3 cups raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup chopped candied citron or candied lemon peel
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- Preheat oven to 300°. Grease and flour three 9x5-in. loaf pans. Line bottoms with waxed paper; grease and flour the paper. Combine currants, raisins, walnuts, candied citron and 1/4 cup flour. Toss to coat; set aside.
- Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses. In another bowl, whisk baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and remaining flour; add to creamed mixture alternately with coffee. Stir into currant mixture and mix well.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Wrap tightly and store in the refrigerator for at least 2 days to blend flavors. Slice and bring to room temperature before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Test Kitchen Tip
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 210 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 79mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 21, 2017
Fantastic recipe, or at least I think it is. I made the three loaves and immediately tried one when it cooled. The other two are aging in some port wine and brandy. I can't wait to unwrap these at Christmas.
Nov 8, 2017
Thank you so very much for posting this recipe. This is as close as I have found to my Mum's recipe for fruitcake. Making it was a 12 hour ordeal ! She would make 6 loaves at a time. She did use more fruit and candied cherries,which I picked out! I can't wait to make this and have a nice thick slice spread with butter. It's been far too long. Thank you again.