Grandma’s Christmas Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Makes16 servings (2-2/3 cups sauce)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups raisins
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground nutmeg and cloves
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- BRANDY BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup brandy
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, raisins, water and butter. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Add raisin mixture; beat until blended. Fold in pecans.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° until cake springs back when lightly touched, 45-55 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For sauce, in a large saucepan, bring cream to a boil; stir in butter and sugar until smooth. Reduce heat; stir a small amount of hot liquid into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook until sauce is slightly thickened and coats the back of a spoon (do not boil). Remove from the heat; stir in brandy. Serve warm with cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice with about 3 tablespoons sauce: 624 calories, 35g fat (19g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 271mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 5, 2019
this was really good! I thought the amount of raisins and sugar was going to be too much but it wasn't. Only thing I did different was I only added about a teaspoon of brandy-I'm not nuts over brandy when cooking. I'll definitely make this again as hubby loved it too.
Dec 12, 2018
My husband loves spice cake and this got two thumbs up from him. The brandy butter sauce takes it up a notch!
Aug 28, 2014
We really enjoyed this with little change really. I only added bacon bits on top and a few sprinkles of parsley as well. Thanks for the lovely recipe:)