Grandma’s Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Fold in poppy seeds. Transfer to a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For drizzle, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water and lemon juice; drizzle over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 320 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 335mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 28, 2016
My husband prefers the from scratch cake recipe that I make for him, but he enjoys this cake too. It is easy to make and has a good lemon flavor. I have also used a lemon frosting instead of the glaze.
Mar 31, 2015
Quick and easy but way too much icing. You could halve it and have plenty.
Feb 19, 2013
Great! For the drizzle I poke holes in cake just out of the oven and pour on. I don't use water in my drizzle.
Jan 18, 2013
this cake is awesome if u like lemon you will love this cake , a must make for everybody
Jan 16, 2013
I have made many lemon poppy seed breads, cakes etc but this one is amazing and easy...I made this recipe muffin form and my husband went crazy..a new favorite for him...
Feb 6, 2012
good - simple
Nov 6, 2011
This cake is deliciously moist inside with a lightly crisp outside. We like to make it in a bundt pan best.
Oct 21, 2011
So easy and so tasty!! I did use a bundt pan (greased and floured) and baked for ~50 minutes. Beautiful! It's a keeper!
Aug 29, 2011
I have made this recipe several times and it is excellent each time. It makes about 2 dozen cupcakes. This is one of the most requested recipes at all the gatherings. I like to use only lemon juice and powdered sugar for the glaze. Gives it a great sweet tart bite. Yummo!
Jun 1, 2011
I make this recipe all the time! My friends and family all love the cake, and the icing is just as big a hit. Easy and simple to put together, it's great for muffins too. Makes about 2.5 - 3 dozen.