Grandma Riley’s Banana Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + cooling. Cook: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 mashed bananas
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Dash of salt
- Cream sugar and shortening together; add eggs and vanilla. Mix in buttermilk and mashed bananas.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, soda, baking powder and salt; add to banana mixture and mix until ingredients are combined. Spoon into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan or two 9-in. round cake pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool cake for 30 minutes before frosting.
- For frosting, mix butter, powdered sugar and milk until smooth; add vanilla and salt. If frosting is too thick, add more milk 1 tsp. at a time until reaching desired consistency. Spread on warm banana cake.
Ripening Bananas: Place bananas in a brown perforated bag and allow them to ripen for 1-2 days.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 21, 2020
This is AMAZING, just like my Grandmother used to make. I LOVE this dessert. Thanks for Sharing with us. 10 Stars!!!!!!??
Aug 21, 2019
I wish recipes would give amount of banana used by cup, not number. Three large bananas would be much different than three small ones.
Aug 19, 2019
I used a cream cheese frosting, but this cake was to die for!
Aug 18, 2019
LOOKS SO GOOD
Sep 25, 2017
This made a mild flavored, moist cake. My family liked it, The banana flavor was not very strong, but maybe that is the nature of banana cake in contrast to banana bars or bread (?). I loved the light fluffy frosting! Will add this to my recipe options for when we need to use up ripe bananas.
Jul 21, 2017
Great cake. I made 1/2 recipe and baked it in an 8-inch pan. Due to lack of time, I served it without the icing, and it was delicious. I also used only 1/3 cup of sugar, and it was sweet enough.
Dec 23, 2016
So easy to make and always a success. People ask for this recipe often.