Banana Applesauce Cake
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups sweetened applesauce
- 3 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk. Beat in extracts. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gently fold into batter. Pour into three greased 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Divide applesauce and spread over two cake layers. Dip bananas in lemon juice; arrange over applesauce. Stack on serving plate with plain layer on top.
- For frosting, in a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, egg whites, water, cream of tartar and salt over low heat. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 8-10 minutes.
- Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Frost sides and top of cake. Sprinkle with coconut. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 332 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 16, 2011
i didnt really like it, my family members liked it but it was just not my taste.
Oct 25, 2008
What a cake. My family wiped it out in one evening. I will be making it again I'm sure.