Banana Applesauce Cake
"THIS CAKE was always my mother's special treat for her six children. It's a delectable 'mountain' of cake and fruit, and very moist."
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups sweetened applesauce
- 3 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk. Beat in extracts. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gently fold into batter. Pour into three greased 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Divide applesauce and spread over two cake layers. Dip bananas in lemon juice; arrange over applesauce. Stack on serving plate with plain layer on top.
- For frosting, in a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, egg whites, water, cream of tartar and salt over low heat. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 8-10 minutes.
- Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Frost sides and top of cake. Sprinkle with coconut. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 332 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Sep 16, 2011
i didnt really like it, my family members liked it but it was just not my taste.
Oct 25, 2008
What a cake. My family wiped it out in one evening. I will be making it again I'm sure.