Banana Pound Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + cooling
- 3 teaspoons plus 3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 teaspoons whole milk
- Grease a 10-in. fluted tube pan. Sprinkle with 3 teaspoons sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and the remaining 3 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in bananas and extracts. Combine flour and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating just until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan (pan will be full). Bake at 325° until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, 75-85 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over cake. Store in the refrigerator. May be frozen for up to 1 month.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 600 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 192mg sodium, 96g carbohydrate (69g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Sep 27, 2015
Very moist and great flavor
Sep 10, 2015
Made for a birthday cake. Iced it with cream cheese icing since it was a birthday cake. Very moist and tasty! Lots of compliments.....
Aug 13, 2014
Hi all new to the site found this recipe thru google and a couple of others. I must say this is a great cake followed your instructions to the letter. It slid right out one solid cake with no effort. Just right on the flavor and the drizzle just makes it that more delicious. Thanks for that going in my favorite box..
Apr 18, 2014
I purposely adjusted this recipe to fit my preferences! I used 1 tsp. EACH salt and baking soda & I used about 1-1/4 cup of ripe mashed bananas. I didn't put 3 Tbsp. of sugar in the cake pan. I also used a regular greased and floured 10" angel-food type tube pan so that the batter wouldn't overflow in a fluted pan! I did keep the flour, butter & 3 cups sugar and eggs the same, but I'd cut the butter into the Tbsp. segments for easier creaming! I also kept the amount of extracts the same and the amount of sour cream the same! I baked the cake at 350o F., rather than at 325o F. I baked the cake for 70 minutes & tested cake with a cake tester to make sure that cake tester came out clean before cooling in pan 15 minutes! I ran a knife around the cake to loosen it from the pan and I cooled the cake for 15 minutes before easing it out of the pan! Before baking, I'd sprinkled about 2 Tbsp. cinnamon-sugar over the batter, then ran a knife through the batter to swirl it! The cake came out easily from the pan! I didn't glaze the cake! I admit that there are times that I prefer to leave a tube cake plain and other times, depending on the flavor and the recipe, I've iced a cake! I think this cake can be classified as a 5* rating! NanZim, Thank you for sharing this recipe with Taste of Home! I've seen other recipes which you've shared-one of your other recipes I'd used from you is your Hummingbird Cake! I admit that I hadn't used EVERY recipe you've shared, but you have a real talent for food preparation & have enjoyed perusing TOH and seeing the various recipes from you!delowenstein
Jan 18, 2014
This was one of the best recipes I have ever made. It does have issues with coming out of the pan but I put tinfoil around the bottom of my pan which kept it in place. Cool cake completely before removing from pan...so much easier.
Sep 5, 2013
I found this cake to be excellent. Very moist and not too sweet. I waited until cake cooled completely before removing it from the pan and it cake out no problem (all intact).
May 8, 2013
Planning to make/take this cake for husband's family reunion this summer. K.
Jan 29, 2013
This cake is very dense and doesn't have enough banana flavor in my opinion. I too like others here had it fall apart on me when I removed it from the pan...maybe due to the excessive moisture. Don't think I'll try it again.
Sep 27, 2012
I have been baking for 35 years. This is one of the worst cakes I have every baked. After following the recipe as written, the cake stuck in the pan. I had to dig it out. It was a tasteless mess and a waste of my time and ingredients.
Nov 11, 2011
Hands down the best pound cake i have ever made