The recipe has evolved for the many years we have made it. This version has been a favorite at our Christmas dinners.—Judy Batson, Tampa, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 8 medium apples, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium ripe banana, thinly sliced
- 1 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 small lemon
- 1 envelope instant apples and cinnamon oatmeal
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Place the apples, banana and raisins in a 3-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, brown sugar, honey, butter and pie spice; pour over apple mixture. Cut ends off lemon. Cut into six wedges and remove seeds. Transfer to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until apples are soft.
- Discard lemon. Mash apple mixture. In a small bowl, combine oatmeal and water. Let stand for 1 minute. Stir into applesauce.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 217 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 58mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Audacious Applesauce in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.