Banana Nut Cake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium)
- 1-1/3 cups canola oil
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. tube pan. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. In another bowl, combine eggs, bananas, oil, pineapple and vanilla. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in nuts.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 60-65 minutes. Cool in pan 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Freeze option: Securely wrap cooled cake in foil, then freeze. To use, thaw at room temperature.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 468 calories, 26g fat (3g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 268mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Sep 28, 2014
I used two tsp. of cinnamon no nutmeg, pecans instead of walnuts and omega 3 oil instead of vegie oil. The cake is excellent, moist and fit for a party. I served it with whip cream.
Jul 17, 2014
Great recipe! Substituted egg beaters, 1 cup of sugar w/Splenda, 1/2 cup applesauce w/the remainder oil, & 1 cup pecans instead of walnuts and it was delicious! I will definitely make this again.
May 30, 2014
Not happy with this cake. Next time I will grease and flour the pan. My cake stick and there is no top as it is still in the pan.
Nov 13, 2013
Banana, Pineapple and walnuts?? What could be better! This is a great recipe that makes A LOT! I choose to put ours into two mini bundt pans and a small loaf pan. This allows us to share this great cake/bread. Some of the pans I left out the walnuts, only because of a neighbor's allergies, still tastes wonderful. A very moist cake that it not soggy or sticky. Great for lunch time packaging or a snack while walking out the door.
Apr 11, 2013
This is SO much better than banana bread! It's the best cake I think I've ever eaten. It is loaded with flavor, light and moist ... I couldn't ask for anything better, and it's so easy to make. I will never throw away ripe bananas again!
Sep 14, 2010
I love this cake and so does my co-workers. Can't wait for my family to try on it!
Jun 24, 2010
Makes a big beautiful moist cake that stirs together quickly. I used my bunt pan which made a very attractive cake.
Feb 1, 2010
So good that it needs no adornment! I usually bake two of these cakes at a time, one to eat the day it's baked and one to freeze. I don't double the recipe - I start over for the second one. I learned the hard way that doubling is not recommended.
Apr 4, 2008
I can't wait to surprise my Aunt w/this cake!!