Banana Snack Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in nuts.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a large saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool to lukewarm.
- Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 461 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 376mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (58g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 13, 2018
Quick , easy and delicious!
Aug 28, 2015
Easy and flavorful if you're using super ripe bananas. I cut the brown sugar by 1/4 cup and it was still sweet to our tastes. It did come out soft and spongy, according to my son. I'm bringing it to a potluck and will sprinkle a bit of confectioner sugar on top since they like their treats really sweet.
Aug 25, 2015
Quick and easy. I didn't frost, just sifted some confectioner's sugar over top and felt it was sweet enough. Will definitely make again.
Oct 22, 2014
I would eliminate the frosting as it was too sweet. The cake is very moist and sweet enough by itself.
Jul 12, 2014
This has been a favorite in our house since 2001. I call it "Banana cake with caramel frosting"
Jun 14, 2014
I made this cake a couple of weeks ago, following the recipe exactly except I omitted the nuts. I agree with many other comments that this was the best banana cake I've ever had. Highly recommended!
Feb 28, 2014
Best moist banana cake ever.
Feb 11, 2014
This cake is so good on its own, it doesn't even need frosting! We love anything with banana so I made this one evening planning to make the frosting in morning. No need! The cake was mostly eaten before midnight! Teenagers couldn't get enough of the moist warm cake and the adults liked that it was not sickening sweet. A hit with all! For my oven It needed to removed at the 25 minute mark.
Dec 11, 2013
Really good moist banana cake!!! It was very delicious and fairly easy to whip up. I may halve the frosting recipe for next time because everything together was just a little too sweet for my personal tastes. The cake is so good on it's own that it may not even need the frosting. I used coconut oil in place of the shortening and I think I am going to add some rum or rum flavoring to the mix like another reviewer suggested next time I make this.
Jan 18, 2013
A colleague said it was the best banana cake she's ever had!