Banana Chiffon Cake
"Simple yet delicious desserts were my Aunt Allie's specialty," notes Nancy Horsburgh of Everett, Ontario. "This cake was one of her best."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 medium)
- Chocolate frosting or frosting of your choice
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, oil, water and vanilla; add to dry ingredients along with bananas. Beat until well blended. In another large bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into yolk mixture.
- Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest rack at 325° for 60-65 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert baking pan; cool completely. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto serving plate; frost top and sides.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 292 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 324mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 23, 2014
For this recipe. I have always used German chocolate frosting. The frosting with coconut and pecans.It is a family favorite.
Oct 11, 2012
It was light and flavorful.
Jul 19, 2009
Can I use a 9 X 13 oblong pan??
Apr 4, 2009
could I use a bundt pan?