Nutty Banana Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- BUTTER PECAN FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- Additional chopped pecans, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture just until combined. Fold in banana and pecans.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the milk, vanilla, salt and enough confectioners' sugar to achieve spreading consistency. Stir in toasted pecans. Frost cake. Garnish with additional pecans if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 608 calories, 36g fat (14g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 476mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 20, 2017
Nice banana flavor, but more like banana bread than banana cake. After cutting off a small piece to see how it turned out, I decided to omit the frosting. It was good, but I prefer a cake-like texture.
Jul 1, 2017
This nutty banana cake is sooo good. We made it for gifts one Christmas!! We love it!!
Apr 12, 2017
Banana cake is one of my favorites so I have tried many recipes over the years. This is one of the best and it is easy & fast to make! I added 4 oz. of cream cheese to the frosting and adjusted the milk to make the right consistency for the frosting.
May 13, 2016
This cake was quite good. I was only surprised at the calorie amount. To compensate for that. I cut the amount of icing in half and just used 1/4 cup of pecan pieces in the icing. I also left out the pecans in the cake. They were not needed. The banana cake made a nice soft flavorful cake. I then baked it in a 9" pan and cut into 16 instead of 9 servings. I would make this again for company. Thank you so much.
Sep 1, 2014
Cake was soooo good. I put a bit more pecans in, and the frozen ripe banana I had was perhaps a bit large, so I baked for 40 minutes with foil over the last 10 to prevent over browning. It came out perfectly done. I used a cream cheese frosting from Skinnytaste without any of the butter, and I swear you wouldn't miss it once it's on the cake. Saved a bunch of calories!
Jun 20, 2013
This is just like banana bread* so tasty, and delicious! have made over 4 times now... a great recipe
Jul 14, 2012
I loved all the pecans, but the frosting was very sweet so next time I'll add the confectioners' sugar 1/2 cup at a time.
May 24, 2012
It was moist and had great flavor. I put cream cheese frosting on ours. That added to the flavor.
Oct 20, 2009
This was great, except I used 3/4 t vanilla extact and 1/4 banana extract for the frosting, and got a rave review from coworkers. There was enough nuts in the frosting and cake to not add to the top, even though it looks nice.
Feb 21, 2009
Looks and sounds so yummy, I'm printing this one out.