Banana Spice Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, ground cloves, ginger and allspice
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons fat-free plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolk, oil and bananas. Combine the cake flour, 1 cup sugar, all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, cloves, ginger and allspice. In another bowl, combine the milk, orange juice concentrate, yogurt, orange zest and vanilla. Gradually add dry ingredients to banana mixture alternately with milk mixture.
- In another bowl, eat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in batter. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 48-52 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Combine the glaze ingredients; drizzle over cooled cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 216 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 238mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit.
Dec 29, 2011
It takes 4(!) bowls to make it plus a grater and plate. YIKES!
Dec 29, 2011
The flavor was outstanding but it was heavy and too moist. I am going to try again and leave it in for the max time. I thought it was done, color and firmness, but it fell some and certainly wasn't pretty.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.