Chocolate Banana Cream Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold 2% milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant banana cream pudding mix
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Beat in the bananas, sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- In a small bowl, beat frosting until light and fluffy. Place bananas in a small bowl; toss with lemon juice.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 3 tablespoons frosting. Stir pudding; spread half over the frosting. Top with half of the bananas and the remaining cake layer. Repeat frosting, filling and banana layers. Frost sides and decorate top edge of cake with remaining frosting. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 490 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 459mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Dec 12, 2015
Best cake!Didn't use the frosting though,But still it tasted great.
Sep 10, 2014
Made this for my birthday & didn't want to share. Creamy & light.
Feb 24, 2014
Amazing! I would definitely make this again!
May 5, 2013
I made this cake a couple of times and it is delicious!!!!
Feb 7, 2012
May 12, 2011
I made this for my dad's birthday, and I ended up liking it way better than I thought I would, not being a big banana fan. The cake is super moist, the filling is tasty, and I think it has just the right amount of chocolate flavor, although when I make it again I'll make my own chocolate frosting. Canned frosting is handy, but homemade tastes so much better.
Dec 26, 2010
Children loved it. Will make again.
Dec 21, 2010
Made this for my work party ! Huge hit... Everyone loved it... Going to make it again and again..
Dec 20, 2010
I have made this cake several times now, and everytime it is a hit! And I've never had to worry about the bananas turning brown...it never lasts that long!
Dec 20, 2010
This was an excellent cake and everyone said it was delicious. I thought the cake was "heavy" as specified, and will try to lighten it up a bit next time. I had only one cake pan, so I made a single layer cake, with the bananas and some raisins soaked in Grand Marnier, and also some more liquor in the frosting and pudding. Then added walnut halves for crunch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.