Warm Spiced Chai
My wife loves chai, but I have never been satisfied with any of the store-bought mixes, so I created my own. —Justin Weber, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 6 cardamom pods
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 5 cups water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 8 whole cloves
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 5 black tea bags
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Ground nutmeg, optional
- In a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle, combine cardamom pods and peppercorns; grind until aromas are released.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to boil. Add cardamom mixture, honey, cinnamon sticks, cloves, star anise and ginger; simmer 5 minutes or according to taste. Remove from heat. Add tea bags; cover and steep 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat milk. Strain tea, discarding spices and tea bags. Stir in hot milk and vanilla. Pour into mugs. If desired, sprinkle with nutmeg.
Originally published as Chai Recipe in Breakfast & Brunch 2015 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.