Chai-Spiced Bread Pudding
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 35 min.
- 4 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons rum, optional
- 6 slices day-old French bread (1 inch thick), cubed
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- Vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk together first 9 ingredients and, if desired, rum. Gently stir in bread; let stand 15 minutes or until bread is softened.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake, uncovered, until puffed, golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Serve warm, with ice cream.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 180 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Oct 16, 2019
I just made this recipe tonight and it was wonderful! It smells and tastes like the holidays. Delicious!! I left out the rum and did some minor substitutions in order to use what I had at home. I used whole milk and chopped pecans. Mine wasn’t done at 40 minutes and I had to increase the baking time to an hour.