Bread Pudding with Nutmeg
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups soft bread cubes (about 9 slices)
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2/3 cups cold water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Combine milk and butter; add to eggs along with sugar, spices and vanilla. Add bread cubes and raisins if desired; stir gently.
- Pour into a well-greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted 1 in. from edge comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter, vanilla and nutmeg. Serve with warm pudding.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 419 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 534mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
May 11, 2018
My mother made this for our family and it is a true winner! Skipped the sauce and opted for whipped cream. Everyone wanted seconds! Can be made with any leftover bread but especially decadent with leftover croissant rolls! As a volunteer feild editor with Taste of Home magazine I love recipes that allow for easy customization for what we have on-hand!
Nov 27, 2017
Easy and guests raved.
Sep 1, 2015
Love this recipe. My family makes me double the recipe when I make it!
May 26, 2015
This recipe dose not need the vanilla sauce. It was so delicious and very quick to make. The only thing I did different was I toasted the bread with butter first and I added a little miracle whipped plush I baked it in a bread pan.
Mar 11, 2015
This was so easy and sooo good :o) the best thing to do with stale bread ever !Maybe next time I will add a bit of milk or cream to the vanilla sauce.
Feb 3, 2015
This was so easy and simple. I had all the ingredients the only thing I needed to buy was the bread :) Also, I used half and half instead of milk and I added semi-sweet chocolate chips for that nice chocolaty flavor. It was just perfect. Yummy! Simple, no fancy ingredients and was tasty!
Nov 10, 2014
My first time to make a bread pudding! it was super easy to make... used sliced bread but toasted it first as in another pudding review i had read that it does make a difference....n it did! the pudding tasted like caramel candy....i just added half a tsp of cinnamon n no nutmeg as i didnt have it at hand.... did cook it 15mins more then the required time as the knife wont come out clean as the recipe said....and i added a tbspful of fresh cream to the mix too....it fluffed but then sank as it cooled....dont know why that happened? i found it a little sweet so next time will reduce 2tbsp sugar....esp. if sauce is used.....but it was still yumm! good comfort food :)
Sep 17, 2014
Really easy to make , only thing I'll do differently next time is make a double batch because their wasn't enough ! The recipe can be modified to your liking but I thought it was just great !!
Aug 21, 2014
Today was my first attempt at making Bread Pudding and this was it....VERY good and easy to make.
Feb 6, 2014
Just made this very easy and very yummy
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.