Apple Bread Pudding
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 10 slices Italian or French bread, cubed, divided
- 1 jar (25 ounces) chunky applesauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Whipped topping, optional
- Place half of the bread cubes in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Spoon applesauce over bread; sprinkle with nutmeg. Top with remaining bread. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla. Pour over bread. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve with whipped topping if desired.
Apr 4, 2013
A 25 oz jar of applesauce is about 3 cups, so we substituted half with apples that were past their prime (peel, core, chop and run through food processor to desired consistency.) I served it up warm with Dickinson's creme vanilla curd (found in fancy jams & jellies aisle of larger grocers) and the flavors were superb. A scoop of rich vanilla ice cream would have also been a good compliment.
Apr 11, 2010
I made the apple bread pudding with homemade cinnamon rolls that had gotten left out overnight. I also used fresh chopped apples in place of applesauce.This was a really good recipe to use as a guideline, while I did some improvising.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.