Apple Bread Pudding
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 10 slices Italian or French bread, cubed, divided
- 1 jar (25 ounces) chunky applesauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Whipped topping, optional
- Place half of the bread cubes in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Spoon applesauce over bread; sprinkle with nutmeg. Top with remaining bread. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla. Pour over bread. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve with whipped topping if desired.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 4, 2013
A 25 oz jar of applesauce is about 3 cups, so we substituted half with apples that were past their prime (peel, core, chop and run through food processor to desired consistency.) I served it up warm with Dickinson's creme vanilla curd (found in fancy jams & jellies aisle of larger grocers) and the flavors were superb. A scoop of rich vanilla ice cream would have also been a good compliment.
Apr 11, 2010
I made the apple bread pudding with homemade cinnamon rolls that had gotten left out overnight. I also used fresh chopped apples in place of applesauce.This was a really good recipe to use as a guideline, while I did some improvising.