Bread Pudding Pie
This unique dessert is a bread pudding-pie combo. It was created by my paternal grandmother's family. They had a farm and made their own bread, which made this a low-cost dessert. — Kelly Barnes, Lexington, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + chilling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup cubed bread
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Preheat oven to 425°. On a floured surface, roll dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Trim and flute edge. Arrange bread in bottom of pie crust. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla; pour over bread. Sprinkle with nutmeg and dot with butter. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes longer. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches): Combine 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 tsp. salt; cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-5 Tbsp. ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.