Baklava Thumbprint Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter until blended. Beat in eggs, one at a time, and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Wrap dough in plastic; refrigerate until firm enough to form into balls, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. For topping, combine sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; refrigerate again if dough becomes too warm. Place 2-1/2 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake 8 minutes. Press a deep indentation in center of each cookie with the back of a rounded teaspoon. Fill each with honey and walnuts; sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Return to oven and bake until edges begin to brown, 7-9 minutes longer. Cool on pans 1 minute. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 168 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 18, 2019
As a tip to styrocam who asked about printing, right underneath the picture of the cookies is a row of icons - rate, comment, save, share, print. Clicking that print icon reorganizes the page for better printing.
Dec 17, 2019
These were quite nice and I would consider making them again for the right occasion. However, I can't imagine using all of the almond essence in the recipe. I halved it because almond essence is extremely strong and I'm glad I did because they still had a really strong almond flavour. They would have been inedible if I put in the whole teaspoon.
Dec 6, 2019
I love making baklava and this is a sweet alternative. They turned beautifully. I doubled the recipe and added 1/4 tsp ground clove to the sugar/cinnamon mixture and also to the honey/nut mixture. I also added 1/2 tsp orange extract to the honey/nut mixture as my homemade baklava has these flavors. I used the top of the extract bottle to make my holes in the center as I felt my spoon handles were too small. I filled each hole with 1 tsp of filling. It made 5 dozen. I will be making these again, although, I feel like real Baklava is much less work. Lol. They were delicious. Thank you for sharing!
Dec 7, 2018
Why can't I print it - it doesn't show the recipe. It sounds so good I would like to print it out.
Dec 2, 2018
Update to my previous review - I took these cookies to a family luncheon yesterday and everyone loved them. Actually, I had a few people tell me that it was the "best cookie I've ever had!!!" My grown kids asked me to "please" make them for Christmas. So, they will definitely be one of the cookies I make when it's time to bake for any occasion.
Nov 30, 2018
I WON my cookie exchange with this recipe! Thanks Sharon for submitting it. I am not a baker, so it took me several tries to get my cookies to look like yours. I found if you freeze the 1 inch dough balls, they stay round when baked (like yours). The recipe says to refrigerate dough 30 minutes (not enough time) b/c my cookies flatted out. My husband like them that way b/c the edges were crispy. Another way I tried was I popped the frozen balls into my Pam sprayed mini muffin tin, cooked the same amount of time, and they were just as yummy. I put the cinnamon/sugar mixture into an old salt shaker. I sprinkled cookie with cinnamon after I made the thumbprint hole and then again after I filled with honey mix. I then baked them for 7 minutes more as the recipe states. So, however you prefer the shape of your cookie, these will be a WINNER! Thanks again Sharon and TOH.
Nov 29, 2018
These came out pretty good. I followed the recipe exactly and it was very easy to make.