Chocolate Caramel Thumbprints
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 12 to 14 caramels
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk, milk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape dough into 1-in. balls. In a shallow bowl, beat egg white. Place pecans in a separate shallow bowl. Dip balls in egg white, then in pecans, patting to help pecans adhere.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt caramels with cream over low heat; stir until smooth. Fill each cookie with about 1/2 teaspoon caramel mixture. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cookies; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Hershey caramels.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 128 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 55mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Mar 15, 2018
Why is this listed under "low carb" recipes? Not even close to being low carb!
Oct 19, 2017
I made these once for Christmas (following the recipe faithfully) and, though others in my family gave rave reviews, I was a bit disappointed. Likely because I was expecting a very sweet, Turtles-like cookie, but got a lightly sweetened, very rich one instead.
Jan 25, 2017
Jan 17, 2017
These cookies are amazingly delicious! Made exactly according to the recipe & they turn out perfect every time... Double batch at Christmas for treat trays and another batch since then for someone who missed out! Make these, you won't be sorry! :)
Dec 4, 2016
Just finished making these cookies. I made them the glutenfree version instead using Predidents Choice GF flour, same amount as the original recipe. Used semi salted butter and 14 caramels and baked them for 11 minutes. Had some caramel mixture left over so will use 12 caramels next time. I used a small scoop to form the cookies and ended up with 28 cookies. They look wonderful and tasted great.
Nov 9, 2016
Hands down this is one of my favourite cookie recipes ever. The chocolate, nuts and caramel are a traditional and spectacular combination.
Jan 13, 2016
These are so good. Instead of melted caramel for the filling, I made it with store bought dulce de leche....YUM!
Dec 16, 2015
Does anyone know if the butter in the recipe should be salted or unsalted?
Dec 11, 2015
Rich and chocolatey! I mixed things up a bit. Made half with Hershey kisses and toasted almonds. The other half I omitted the nuts, rolled them in turbinado cane sugar, used the caramel filling and lightly sprinkled the caramel with sea salt...so delicious!
Oct 22, 2015
I made a batch of these for coworkers. They were all gone by the end of the day!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.