Carrot Spice Thumbprint Cookies
Carrot cake is a family favorite, and these delicious cookies taste just like it, with all the ingredients you'd expect—grated carrots, dried cranberries, toasted walnuts, cinnamon and cloves. And they're topped off with a rich cream cheese frosting. Who could resist? It's like eating a piece of carrot cake without a fork! —Susan Bickta, Kutztown, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream margarine and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in carrots, walnuts and cranberries.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the back of a 1/2-teaspoon measure.
- Bake until edges begin brown, 10-12 minutes. Reshape indentations as needed. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat butter, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until blended. To serve, fill each cookie with about 1-1/2 teaspoons frosting; sprinkle with additional confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftover filled cookies.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 167 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 146mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Carrot Spice Thumbprint Cookies in Taste of Home December 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.